- 1 quart homemade or store bought stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large celery root, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, pelted and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (blend 1 cup soaked raw cashews with just enough water to cover)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil until soft but not brown
- Add chopped apple
- Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.
- Add the cashew cream, cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Purée (in a blender for best results).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with celery leaves, chopped Granny Smith apple, and drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large carrots chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 oz olive oil
- 5 quarts water
- 8 pepper corns
- 2 cloves garlic
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Sauté vegetables in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned
- Add water, bring to a boil, skim any foam on top
- Add spices, reduce heat and simmer for an hour
- Strain and season to taste.
(Stock recipe adapted from www.escoffier.edu)