- Two slices French sandwich or multigrain sandwich bread
- One slice each provolone, swiss and havarti cheese
- Sautéed cremini mushrooms (recipe below)
- Onion butter (recipe below)
- Olive oil
- Pea shoots
- Spread both slices of bread with onion jam
- Top one slice with the three slices of cheese, mushrooms, and pea shoots
- Place remaining slice on top and brush with olive oil.
- Grill on a sandwich press or stovetop grill until bread is toasted and eis melted.
Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add sliced cremini mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt. Sautee until mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates. Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, scraping up the browned bits that have formed in the pan. Sauté until liquid has reduced. Remove from heat
Heat 2 oz of olive oil in a pan. Thinly slice three onions and place in the pan with 1/2 tsp salt and a large sprig of thyme. Sauté over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes until golden and caramelized. Add 1oz balsamic vinegar, stirring to scrape off the brown bits that have formed in the pan. Sauté for a few minutes more, remove from heat, and puree in a food processor.